Look! I’ve written another post on writing! Wahoo!
Maybe it’s this long winter, maybe it’s because I’m bored and tired of putting together 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzles of lighthouses, but I want to ask you guys some questions.
This post is mainly directed toward the other bloggers out there. My questions might be for research purposes (still waiting for Psychology Today to return my calls), but mainly for my own amusement.
Beats shoveling the driveway. And besides, there’s nothing on TV anyway.
Oh, and because I adore you so much, I want to pick your WordPress brains.
These questions are about blogging in general, but more about you. Your life, your personality. Your reason for blogging, if any (hell, I only do it for the carpal tunnel syndrome), and more specifically, about your burning desire to write.
Fine, lukewarm desire.
- Why in the hell do you blog? I mean, really. We all know that “for the endless amounts of cold hard cash” will never be an answer. What do you get out of it? The main thing that compels you to crank out yet another post. Is it to quiet the voices? You can’t afford a diary? Looking for a big book deal? To connect with others? Your therapist suggested it? Tell me. Be honest. (It’s to quiet the voices, isn’t it?)
- How did you discover blogging? What was your initial impression? I thought it was just an online journal no one would ever read or a fun way to let perfect strangers know embarrassing and intimate details of your life. Guess I wasn’t too far off with that guess.
- Were you shy and withdrawn as a child or gregarious?
- What does gregarious mean?
- How close is your ‘blogging’ persona to the real you? Any differences, similarities? If you’re really a Chinese robot, etc? Is your writing ‘voice’ the true you? Are you more guarded with your writing or more confident?
- How has blogging changed you or your life? It hasn’t? Aw, c’mon! Fess up. It’s made my ass much fatter.
- Do you consider yourself to be a ‘writer’? Explain why or why not.
- Do you prefer to write, then edit, edit, edit or just throw up on a page and be done with it?
- How confident are you after you hit that dreaded ‘publish’ button? Does it strike fear in your heart? Or do you not even care? If you don’t care at all, I’d like to have what you’re having. Also what Meg Ryan was having in When Harry Met Sally, but that’s another story for another time.
- Have you ever regretted something you’ve written? (like what I just wrote about Meg Ryan) If so, what was it and why, and can you give me a link to it?
- Have you ever been 100% satisfied with something you’ve written?
Do you view your writing as good, bad, so-so, or ‘eh, you really don’t care’? Do you ever look back at a post and cringe? And thought, good lord! that was pure crap on a stick!? Just me? Nevermind.
- When you write, do you have a certain audience in mind, or do you just go with your gut and let the words spew forth without a care who would like it or not? In other words, do you censor yourself at all?
- What will you never, ever, ever, like totally ever write about and why not?
- Can you write a post for me? Yeah, I’m fresh outta ideas at the moment as you can see…
Thank you. That is all.
Feel free to answer any and all questions below. Or in your own post. Or answer none. Right. Like that’ll happen. You’re a blogger. You’re a writer. We love to string words together and babble and drone on and on and on, it’s what we do best, am I right, huh, well am I, hmm?
Okay, that was a bad example.