Are you there God? It’s me, jackass.
I’ve been reading several books on near death experiences about people who’ve apparently died, only to come back to life so they can tell us what happens when you cross over.
Most of the stories are similar: there’s a long tunnel, a bright light,
all-encompassing love, indescribable peace…yadda, yadda, yadda…
But then a lucky few (or unlucky few) go so far over to the other side, they undergo a type of “life review”. They are shown clips of their past life events in hi-def surround-sound quality. If that wasn’t jarring enough, the person is also reliving certain moments of their life with the “Creator” by their side.
This is the part that worries me. What exactly does God know? Does she see everything? Every single thing I do or think in my entire life? Even the super secret stuff?
If so, I apologize in advance for the following:
- Every day I announce I’m on a diet and “this time I really mean it!”
Then during my lunch break, I inhale a Big Mac and fries in a remote parking lot while gently weeping.
- When the trash can is overflowing, instead of emptying it, I just cram the next bit of trash down in there, quickly close the lid, and run away cackling.
- That obnoxious driver at the stop light blasting music so loud it rattles all the cars around it?
- I love Coldplay. All of it. Every song. And I blast it at stop lights.
- Sometimes in the middle of the night I creep out to the kitchen in the dark and shove a steady stream of chocolate chips down my pie hole while hovering over the sink.
- Once I willingly ate at Kentucky Fried Chicken. And liked it.
- Whenever I’m home alone, the first thing I do is take off my bra and throw it on top of the ficus plant. Then I park my ass on the couch, watch a marathon of Big Brother Celebrity Edition, drink a couple beers, devour a large extra-greasy bucket of fried chicken carcass, and burp and fart myself into oblivion.
- I think cute pocket-sized puppies are annoying little yippy shits sent to Earth to destroy me.
- I think Adele’s voice is too breathy and overrated.
- Once I hid my mom’s meatloaf in my napkin, then excused myself so I could discretely flush it down the toilet.
This was yesterday.
- Sometimes instead of actually brushing my teeth, I would pretend by running some water from the faucet and swishing the toothbrush around for awhile.
This was yesterday.
- I try not to be jealous. But whenever I scroll through a friend’s Instagram photos of her ridiculous f***ing bare feet resting next to a f***ing sparkling cocktail with a stupid-ass frilly umbrella on the f***ing beach in the f***ing Bahamas, I tend to swear out loud a little.
- I do not like Stranger Things. Not even a tiny bit.
Ah! That felt good! The truth CAN set you free!
Anything you’d like to share in the comments so God will go a little easier on you later?